As part of their plans to transform local services for the future.
The two new shadow authorities for North and West Northamptonshire have signed up to the Local Digital Declaration today along with the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government and the Government Digital Service.
The declaration is a cross sector shared mission, enabling the foundations needed for the future generation of local digital public services.
It embodies five principles of internet age local public services. These are:
- To go further to redesign our services around the needs of the people using them.
- ‘Fix our plumbing’ to break our dependence on inflexible and expensive technology that doesn’t join up effectively.
- Design safe, secure and useful ways of sharing information.
- Demonstrate digital leadership, creating the conditions for genuine organisational transformation to happen.
- Embed an open culture that values, incentivises and expects digital ways of working from every member of our workforce.
Cllr Russell Roberts, Leader, North Northamptonshire Shadow Authority, said:
“We recognise the huge potential of digital to improve services for our residents and to reduce our costs. We are delighted to sign up to the digital declaration and to work with our partners across the public sector to build services that are fit for the future.”
Cllr Ian McCord, Leader, West Northamptonshire Shadow Authority, said:
“We are genuinely ambitious for the future of West Northamptonshire and excited by the opportunities created by modern online and digital tools to help make things easier and quicker for residents and businesses, as well as being more efficient for our staff to work with. From helping residents to remain independent in their own homes, to reducing our impact on the environment, digital tools and techniques will help us to create the next generation of public services and reduce our costs.”
You can read the full declaration on the Local Digital website www.localdigital.gov.uk/declaration, which gives more detail on the principles and the commitments we’ve made in order to lay the foundations for the public services of the future.