Virtual Audit Committee Meeting Tuesday 2 March 2021

Our mapping service, In My Area, is currently unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Access the meeting

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing

Applying for an Operators/Drivers/Vehicle Licence

Licensing Reception Opening times as follows:

Monday to Wednesday 9.00am - 12.00 noon

Thursday 9.30am - 12.00 noon

Friday 9.00am - 12 noon

Prior to making an application for a driver's licence you must have completed the Taxi Drivers Standard Assessment, or Enhanced Assessment for wheelchair accessible vehicles, the following three companies are able to offer this test,

  1. Blue Lamp Trust –
  2. GreenPenny –
  3. Diamond -

this is at your own expense, as this is an advanced driving test you may wish to consider additional training before undertaking the test, completed either a knowledge test if applying for a hackney carriage drivers licence, or an English comprehension test if you are applying for a private hire drivers licence, details available with the application pack, it is also necessary for all potential applicants to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service form (DBS formally known as a CRB) in order to obtain written evidence that they are a 'fit and proper person'.

A DBS application form can be obtained from the Licensing Section of the Council, which is situated at Trafalgar House, Sanders Road, Wellingborough, NN8 4FR. This will need to be completed and returned to the Licensing Section together with proof of identity, i.e. passport, driving licence, utilities bill with name and address on, together with the appropriate fee. The form is then countersigned by an officer of the Council and this is then sent away for the necessary checks. The check takes approximately 8 weeks.

As you are applying for a driving position one of the documents provided must be your driving licence, you are now required to provide a unique code, ("check code") obtainable from this enables you to share your details with a third party.

If you are not a national of the UK, then you will need to demonstrate your right to work.  Please use the Home Office online right to work service, to generate a code, this will need to be passed to the council to enable them to make the necessary checks.  If you are from the UK you will need to show either your British Passport or Birth Certificate (issued in the UK).

A medical is also required by persons wishing to become hackney or private hire driver, these forms are available from the Licensing Section. This must be completed by a doctor (your doctor will make a charge for this service and this must be at your expense) and then submitted to this office.

You will also need to pay for and complete an application form for the relevant licence. All paperwork must be returned to the Licensing Section for them to make a judgement on whether the licence should be issued or not.


Last updated: 01/06/2019