Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Register to vote

The way we all register to vote has changed.

The registration system changed in June 2014 to a system called Individual Electoral Registration (IER). If you were not registered under Individual Electoral Registration by 1 December 2015, then you have been removed from the Register. You will not be able to vote at future elections until you successfully register under IER. We wrote to all electors on this date to confirm they have been removed.

How do I register?

The easiest way is to go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote on your computer, tablet or smartphone. The application takes roughly 5 minutes and will ask for your name, date of birth, nationality, national insurance number and a few other details. Your national insurance number can be found on a national insurance card, on payslips, or on official paperwork from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs regarding pensions, benefits or tax queries. 

You may also register by calling 01933 231513 or emailing elections@wellingborough.gov.uk as long as you have all of the necessary details as listed above.  

How do I make changes if I am already registered?

If you have changed your name, you will need to notify us by email or letter and provide evidence of the change, such as a marriage certificate or deed poll.

If you have used the change of address form this will notify us of the change, but you will still need to complete a new application to register at that address; this can be completed online by following this link.

Why do I need to register

If you're not on the Register of Electors, you can't vote, so you won't get a say on important issues that affect you. 

Credit reference agencies also use the Register of Electors to carry out credit checks.  If you're not on the Register, you could have difficulties arranging a mortgage, a loan or even a mobile phone contract.

If you are eligible to register and have been asked to register (ie you have received a form from us) then you are required by law to provide the information; if you don't, you could be fined £80.

You are not automatically registered even if you pay council tax.

Who can register?

 You can register to vote if;

  • Over 18 years of age, or reach the age of 18 during the life of the register.
  • You are a citizen of the Commonwealth states and territories or a citizen of the European Union.
  • Your main residence is within the borough.

If you are 16 or 17, you are also eligible to register, but you cannot vote until you are 18.

Register of electors

The register of electors is a list of the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in the borough. Each year, household enquiry forms (HEFs) are delivered to all households in the borough. The information given to us on the forms is used to provisionally update the register. If you don't respond to the form then we will send a reminder out to you; if you don't respond to the reminder then we are obligated by law to send a canvasser to your property to attempt to speak to you about who is eligible to be registered at your address.

Once we know who is living in the household then we will send individual registration forms out to anybody who is not registered under IER. Alternatively, you can complete your registration online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. A new register is then published in December.

There are two versions of the register.

The full register

The full electoral register lists everyone who is able to vote. By law, only certain people or organisations are able to have copies of this register including people who carry out credit or crime checks. You can view this register under supervision at the Council Offices.

The open register

The open register (also known as the edited register) is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.  If you wish to be removed from, or included in the open register the please contact the electoral services team. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote. 

The open register can be bought by anyone and there are no restrictions on it's use. If you are interested in purchasing the open register, then please contact the electoral services team.

You have the right to apply for your details to be permanently excluded from this version of the register. The request must be made in writing and signed by you before it can be granted. Phone us on 01933 231513 or email elections@wellingborough.gov.uk to request an application form.

When will my details appear on the register?

Anyone registering to vote during the annual canvass period (usually between August and November) will be added to the new register which is usually published on 1 December. Any application received after Wednesday 11 August 2021 will not be added to the register until Wednesday 1 December 2021.

Once the new register is published we then update it at the beginning of each month; this is called rolling registration. Anyone registering during this period will be added to the register at the beginning of the following month (subject to no objections being received), for example: 

If we get your form before Your details will be updated by
Friday 5 February 2021  Monday 1 March 2021
Wednesday 10 March 2021 Thursday 1 April 2021
Monday 12 April 2021 Tuesday 4 May 2021
Monday 10 May 2021 Tuesday 1 June 2021
Wednesday 9 June 2021 Thursday 1 July 2021
Friday 9 July 2021 Monday 2 August 2021  
Tuesday 10 August 2021 Wednesday 1 September 2021

You will be notified in writing when your application has been added.

During an election period applications need to be received no less than eleven working days before polling day.

Credit referencing agencies

The full register is sent to the credit referencing agencies each month but there is no legal obligation for them to update their systems; this may mean that they are not using the most recent version to check requests for credit.

We can provide a certificate of residency as evidence of registration.