Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Changes In Your Circumstances


If you have a change in your circumstances you must inform the Borough Council of Wellingborough, in writing, as soon as possible.

Contacting the Benefits Department

Borough Council of Wellingborough Benefit Section
Tithe Barn Offices
Tithe Barn Road

If you fail to notify us of the change within one calendar month, and this change results in more Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, we will apply the change from the following Monday after notification.

If your benefit reduces as a result of the change we will go back to the date your circumstances changed. If you fail to notify us on time and you are overpaid benefit, you will have to pay this back. 

Here are some examples of changes in circumstance that you must report to us within one calendar month:
  • any change to the household income and savings
  • if anyone joins or leaves the household
  • any changes in rent
  • any temporary or permanent absence from home
  • any hospitalisation of you or your partner
  • any change in the Tax Credit you receive.

This list is not exhaustive. If in doubt let us know of any change. We will confirm if it affects your benefit/support. If you tell The Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs of any change in circumstance you must also inform the Borough Council of Wellingborough in writing.

Moving Address

If the change in circumstance is due to a change of address then you should inform the Benefits Section as soon as possible. You will need to complete a "Change of Address". If you have a rent liability you will also need to supply your new tenancy agreement.  You can download a change of address form or we can post one to you.

Income support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit has stopped

If you stop receiving one of the following benefits

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment & Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)

You must tell the council immediately and you will need to provide proof of your new income and any savings you may have. You can download an End of IS/JSA(IB)/ESA(IR)/GC form.

The four benefits listed above are known as 'passporting benefits', and if you receive one of these benefits, and as long as you have made a claim for HB/CTS, we will normally be able to calculate your HB/CTS entitlement without needing to check details of your income and capital.

If you are not receiving one of these benefits, the council needs to carry out its own assessment of your income and capital.

Please note that there is any change to your circumstances, you need to tell us about it, but you will not always need to complete any further forms. If in doubt get in touch with us.

Changes in income or savings

If your savings and/or income has changed (not Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance) you should contact us, notify us either in writing or directly. We will require you to provide proof.

You can download a Reporting a change in your circumstances form.

If you are in receipt of Pension Credits you will need to notify the Pension Service of any changes. You can contact them on 0845 6060 265. 

More information

  1. Introduction (you are here)
  2. Keeping us informed
  3. Changes to your household