Borough Council of Wellingborough

Virtual Development Committee Monday 18 January 2021

The meeting will take place virtually from 7pm. Members of the public will be able to view the meeting live from 7pm using Microsoft Teams.

View the meeting

High hedges

Issues regarding high hedges are covered by part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act.

Provided that involved parties have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving a hedge dispute, complaints may be made about high hedges to the council. We can refuse to intervene if you have not done everything you reasonably could have done to settle your dispute.

We can supply leaflets and advice regarding a high hedge problem upon request or see Over the garden hedge: A leaflet on how to settle your hedge differences without involving the local authority.

If you have been through all the steps set out and certain criteria are met, then we may investigate your complaint.

This guide, High Hedges: Complaining to the Council, explains the powers that local authorities have to deal with disputes between neighbours about high hedges, and how home owners and occupiers can complain to the local authority about such hedges.

Please use the High Hedges Complaint Form using the Guidance Notes to help you fill it in.  There is a fee for this service.

Problems with vegetation obstructing the highway are referred to the County Council who may write to the owner of an overgrown hedge or tree.


Last updated: 23/10/2017