Shop Front Grant Scheme
Grants available for Shop owners within the Town's conservation area!
In 2009, a Shop Front Advertising Design Guide (SFADG) was adopted by the Borough Council of Wellingborough to emphasise the importance of Wellingborough's distinctive street scene and historic retail architecture. A summary of the SFADG provides advice for people involved in designing new, or altering existing shop fronts. By ensuring sensitive design, it will support retail health and create quality streets that improve the commercial viability of an area. The document covers several points, for example;
- In keeping with the character of Wellingborough
- Consider the shop in context with the surrounding buildings.
- Period shop fronts and details should be retained
- Existing unsympathetic shop fronts should be improved
- The historic environment and cultural heritage should be preserved or enhanced.
As part of the Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) supported by the Heritage Lottery fund, a grant has been made available to help shop owners carry out repairs and restoration to historic features on their building. Initially the scheme will be offered to shops within Sheep Street, Silver Street, Market Street, Cambridge Street and Gloucester Place, and some sections of High Street and Park Road.If you would like to be considered for a grant, please complete an 'Expression of Interest form' and return it to: THI Project Team at email@example.com or post to: John Udall, THI Project Manager, Planning and Regeneration, Swanspool House, Doddington Road, NN8 1BP.
The grant scheme will consider applicants with the following criteria:
- You are an independent trader with no more than 6 properties
- The property itself is within the defined THI area and is a building of 'Townscape Merit'. A map of Eligible properties is detailed on the Shop Front Grant Map.
- You are prepared to return your property to its former glory using natural products of the period and to jointly agree a scheme with the Council, along with using local craftsmen and suppliers where possible.
- You are either the Landlord or you have the Landlord's permission in writing to carry out the work.
If you would like to be included on the mailing list to receive updates on this scheme or other Townscape Heritage Projects, please email your details to Heritage@wellingborough.gov.uk or contact 01933 231918/231659