Wellingborough East (Stanton Cross)
The area was first identified for significant mixed-use development in the local plan in 1999. The current local plan sets out some overall development principles in Policy Site 1.
Bovis Homes Ltd, first submitted a planning application in August 2004 with further submissions in December 2005 and October 2006 and a variation (WP/15/00605/VAR) in 2015 which was approved in 2016.
Stanton Cross - The name explained
Bovis ran a public competition through the Evening Telegraph to name the development. Stanton refers to the former Stanton Ironworks company which operated in Wellingborough in the 1930s. Stanton is also derived from the Anglo-Saxon for stone farm and the Cross part of the name refers to the river and rail crossings required to link the development to Wellingborough.
The proposed mixed use scheme comprises:
- 3750 residential units
- Industrial and commercial development
- New public transport links and interchange at the station
- Town Park
- New and enhanced walking and cycling routes
- A neighbourhood centre with health facilities, small supermarket and other shops, a community hall and primary school
- 2 further secondary local centres
- Construction of access roads, bridges and cycle/footways
The Council has successfully completed two Compulsory Purchase Order of land within the Stanton Cross Development.
Details of all past and current planning applications for the site are available to view on the website. In addition to the planning consents and planning obligations, development of the site is guided by a number of approved documents listed below:
- Design Brief for Parcels 3, 4 and 5
- Neighbourhood Centre and South Slopes Design Brief
- Station Island Design Brief
- Ise Valley Design Brief
- Irthlingborough Road Design Brief
- SSSI SPA Compensatory Habitat Management Plan and Access Strategy 2017
- Town and Country Park Masterplan
- Primary School Plan
Plans identifying the various parcels and routes within the site are also available:
View the Notice of Inset Variation - Parcel 20 Stanton Cross here:
The consultation can be found here:
Section 8 of the Water Industry Act 1991 (the "Act")
'Independent Water Networks (IWNL) , registered number 05776438, of Energy House, Woolpit Business Park, Woolpit, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, IP30 9UP (contact Charlie Thackeray, Water Network Director) hereby gives notice pursuant to Section 8 of the Act that it has applied to the Water Services Regulation Authority to be appointed as a water and wastewater undertakers in place of Anglian Water in relation to the area situated at OS Grid Reference E490948 N267937 and known as Parcel 20, Stanton Cross, Wellingborough, NN8 1TA. Maps of the area affected can be inspected at IWNL's office during business hours.'
The maps are available to view here:
- Wellingborough East (Stanton Cross) (you are here)
- Compulsory Purchase Order - Station Island North, Stanton Cross
- Station Island North CPO Statement of Case
- Compulsory Purchase Order - Stanton Cross Infrastructure
- North Wellingborough
- Park Farm/Shelley Road Area
- Station Island, Station Cross CPO Index of Core Documents