Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Advice for Private Sector Tenants

We deal with complaints from private sector tenants concerning hazards including damp and mould, excess cold and disrepair.

As a tenant you are encouraged to speak to your landlord or letting agent in the first instance to resolve any repair issues. However if this fails and a landlord is not willing to address matters, or if there are reasons why you cannot or are unwilling to contact the landlord or agent direct, the Council may be able to help.

We will inspect a house with the agreement of the resident, landlord or managing agent. We prefer to let the landlord know when we are visiting if possible so we can go through what we find with them.

Our main reason for inspecting a property is to assess the house under the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS). This is the method used by local authorities to assess housing conditions. The Housing Act 2004 Part 1 establishes the HHSRS as the current statutory assessment criterion for housing and it is based on the principle that any residential premises should provide a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupier or visitor. A hazard is any risk of harm to the health or safety of an actual or potential occupier that arises from a deficiency. The system is concerned with disease, infirmity, physical injury, and also includes mental disorder and distress.

You can find more information on your rights and responsibilities if you’re a tenant in privately rented property here.

More information can be found on assistance with Home conditions, Improvements and Grants here.

You can contact Private Sector Housing Team regarding the problems you are having by: