The role of the Council in Emergencies
The role of the Council in an Emergency
The purpose of the Council in an emergency is to manage the council’s response to a major emergency, which cannot be dealt with through normal procedures.
• to respond to emergencies within the borough boundary in conjunction with others as appropriate.
• to arrange for the re-housing of those made permanently homeless by an emergency.
• to provide aid to neighbouring district/borough councils when requested.
• to restore services affected by the emergency for which the council is usually responsible.
• to liaise with other organisations via the Northamptonshire Emergency Planning Team.
• the maintenance of normal services to the rest of the borough are not affected by the emergency.
The Northamptonshire Local Resilience Forum (LRF)
In line with Civil Contingencies Act obligations, the Council has a role and responsibility to anticipate and mitigate, as far as practicable, the effects of a major emergency through planning and preparedness efforts. Both independently and in joint collaboration, the Council seeks to ensure this by undertaking preparedness work within the borough, locally with neighbouring and bordering boroughs, as well as working with the Northamptonshire Local Resilience Forum. The Council is involved with resilience and emergency planning groups across Northamptonshire that support local arrangements.
Emergencies can happen at any time. Most can be dealt with by the emergency services (Police; Fire and Rescue; Ambulance).
On rare occasions an incident or emergency can be so big or have such a widespread impact that other organisations need to be involved in the response; for example, in the event of:
• wide-spread flooding or flash flooding;
• major transport accidents;
• animal health diseases; and
• major fires.
At a time where so many different types of emergencies could happen, it is important that we consider the actual risk. This is calculated by considering the likelihood of an emergency happening against what the impact would be.
Risks in Northamptonshire
In Northamptonshire we focus on local risks and how to keep the county as safe as possible.
The Council work closely with other agencies as part of the Northamptonshire Local Resilience Forum to consider these risks.
Community Risk Register
The Forum produces the county's Community Risk Register which focuses on local issues. The Register shows the risk classification and who will lead the response during an emergency situation.