Wellingborough's Mission Statement"The borough Council of Wellingborough will in partnership with other agencies, seek to improve the quality of life for local residents, businesses and visitors to the borough through the proactive use of surveillance equipment. Closed circuit television cameras (CCTV) will be used as appropriate, for community safety and quality of life purposes and will be promoted as one of the many community tools available in the borough."
CCTV - A Weapon Against Crime
The introduction of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) has been one of the best weapons against crime. It has been proved effective in both cutting and detecting crime and because of this people now feel safer when they're out and about.
The Home Office states CCTV surveillance is particularly valuable when used as part of a wider crime reduction strategy, thus strengthening partnership with the local police.
Key ObjectivesThe key objectives for the Wellingborough Town Centre CCTV Scheme are:-
- To improve the quality of life for people who live, work, visit and trade in the borough.
- To protect public property, reduce vandalism and assist in the improvement of the environment generally.
- To reduce the fear of crime and increase people's perception of safety
- To reduce and/or prevent criminal activity
- To reduce anti-social behaviour
- To provide acceptable recorded evidence to enable criminal prosecution and assist any civil litigation, having regard to all applicable legislation.
- To improve the commercial viability of the town centre
- To maintain public order, especially in those areas affected by drug or alcohol abuse.
- To monitor pedestrian movements especially in relation to personal safety issues.
CCTV in WellingboroughMonitoring of Wellingborough's 17 cameras is arranged via a partnership with Northampton Borough Council from the NBC CCTV Control Centre. This has direct links to the police resource deployment centre at Wootton Hall, Northampton enabling the police to both monitor and respond to incidents as they occur.
The impact of CCTV on reductions in crime and disorder has resulted in an average of 20 arrests being made each month.A copy of Wellingborough's CCTV Strategy can be obtained on request.