Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

When will you need to apply?

Most building work will need Building Regulation Approval. If you are unsure whether you will need Approval for the work you plan to do, please check with us before you start.

To give you an idea, here are some examples of when Building Regulations Approval is needed:

  • Construction of any new building*
  • Building an extension*
  • A loft conversion
  • Re-roofing
  • Internal alterations that affect the means of escape in case of fire
  • Structural alterations
  • Underpinning the foundations of your building
  • Change of use*
  • Regularisation of building works (work previously completed without approval)
  • Replace existing windows and doors
  • Electrical work in domestic premises

*There are some exemptions. Please contact Building Control for details.

Remember, Building Regulations Approval is separate from Planning Permission. You must apply separately for both, if both are needed. Permission for one does not give you permission for the other. It is your responsibility to find out what permissions you need. If you are in any doubt, please ask us. We do not charge for this advice.

The Building Regulations do not cover maintenance and repair work, although it should be noted that certain works, which may be considered as either maintenance or repair, are not in fact exempt. Examples of this are underpinning and replacing a defective roof covering with a heavier or lighter material. Please do not hesitate to contact us as this may save you considerable problems in the future.

If you have already carried out the building work please see: