Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Isham Conservation Area Appraisal Consultation 2021

Isham Conservation Area Appraisal 2021 consultation

A consultation is taking place on the proposed Isham Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan and an amendment to the current conservation area.

Some frequently asked questions (FAQs) are set out below.

The consultation document and associated map of proposed changes can be viewed here:

The consultation will run until 5pm on Monday 8 March 2021. Any responses received by this date will be taken into account before a decision is taken as to whether to proceed with formal designation of the new conservation area and the associated appraisal and management plan.

How to Respond

Responses should be sent to planningpolicy.BCW@wellingborough.gov.uk or by post to:

Planning Policy, Swanspool House, Doddington Road, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8 1BP

N.B. During the COVID pandemic we prefer to recieve responses electronically to minimise risk of transmission through the physical handling of responses. Due to home working submissions by post may take longer to process although they will still be accepted for those without email access.


Why has the review been undertaken?

The review of the existing conservation area and the creation of an appraisal and management plan for Isham Conservation Area is part of an on-going programme of work intended to provide all of the borough’s conservation areas with suitable appraisals. Isham conservation area was designated in March 1980, but the related character appraisal and management plan was not required at this time. The council has a duty to formulate and publish proposals for the preservation and enhancement of conservation areas and then to actively manage their protection and physical improvement through the exercise of its planning functions.

What is a Conservation Area?

Conservation areas are designated by the Local Planning Authority as areas of special architectural and historic interest. Conservation area designation introduces additional planning controls and considerations, which exist to protect an area’s special character and appearance and the features that make it unique and distinctive. Although designation introduces controls over the way that owners can develop their properties, it is generally considered that these controls are beneficial as they sustain and/or enhance the value of properties within conservation areas.

How are Conservation Areas managed?

This conservation area is supported by an appraisal and management plan. The appraisal describes the importance of the area in terms of its character, architecture, history, development form and landscaping. The management plan, included within the appraisal, sets out various positive proposals to improve, enhance and protect the character and appearance of the conservation area.

Do I need to make an application for routine maintenance work?

If routine works of maintenance are to be carried out using authentic materials and traditional craft techniques, on a like-for-like basis, you are not likely to need to apply for permission. The use of contractors with the necessary skills and experience of working on historic buildings is essential. Inappropriate maintenance works and the use of the wrong materials will cause damage to the fabric of a historic building. It is recommended you contact the local planning authority for clarification before commencing any works.

Will I need to apply for permission for a new or replacement garage, fence, boundary wall or garden structure?

Any demolition, development or construction in conservation areas will generally need planning permission. A replacement boundary, garage or greenhouse will need to be designed with the special historic and architectural interest of the conservation area in mind.

Can I demolish a building in a conservation area?

Demolition or substantial demolition of a building within a conservation area will usually require permission from the local planning authority.

Is consent required for any works to trees within a conservation area?

If you are thinking of cutting down a tree or doing any pruning work, the local planning authority must be notified 6 weeks before any work begins. This enables the authority to assess the contribution the tree makes to the character of the conservation area and, if necessary, create a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) to protect it. Consent will be required for any works to trees that are protected.