Little Harrowden and Mears Ashby
The name belies the size of the population with this being many times greater than its sister village of Great Harrowden! This village lies three miles north west of Wellingborough.
For many centuries "Haroowden Magna" was the home of the principal landowner and Lord of the Manor - this may well be the reason for the apparent contradiction.
The focal point of the village and village life is the church of St Mary. One of its notable features is the south doorway which dates from about 1190. Unfortunately the tower was demolished in 1967, for safety reasons, but a newly built bell-turret houses one of the original four bells.
The village of Mears Ashby is conveniently located between Wellingborough, Northampton and Kettering, some three miles west of Wellingborough.
Two homes of special interest are the Mears Ashby Hall, built in 1637, with its Dovecote and Summerhouse, and the Old Vicarage, an early Victorian building.The village's typical mediaeval church, All Saints, was built in stages between the 12th and 15th centuries. During an extensive renovation in the mid-19th century, a 14th century wall painting or "doom" was found under plaster and has been restored and preserved.
Pages in Parishes
Parish Council Clerks
How to contact your parish council