The below information is directly taken from a letter received from Highways England (HE). If you have any questions about this work, please contact HE directly.
I am writing to let you know that we will be carrying out improvement works to the existing carriageway on the A45 / A6 Chowns Mill roundabout. The scheme involves improving Chowns Mill roundabout where the A45 crosses the A6 and where access is provided into Higham Ferrers via the A5028.
During our scheme of work, we will:
- widen all approaches and exits to the roundabout
- build an ‘outer’ circulatory to separate traffic movements and improve capacity for trunk road traffic
- install new controlled pedestrian crossing points, covering all arms of the junctions
- install traffic signals
- upgrade street lighting
- install overhead gantries
- install new signing
- implement a 40mph speed limit throughout the junction
- Once completed, all road users will benefit from improved road safety which will help to prevent congestion and collisions at peak times.
When will the work take place?
Work is due to start in early February 2020 and the scheme is scheduled to last approximately 22 months. To minimise disruption, wherever possible works will be carried out during the day but some overnight works and full weekend closures will be necessary.
Please note that all our planned roadworks may be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
How will the work affect traffic?
To maintain a safe environment for our workforce and customers, sections of the A45 / A6 will be closed and narrow lanes will be introduced with a 40mph speed restriction.
During these closures fully signed diversion routes will be in place, which have been agreed with the Local Authority.
How will the work affect businesses and residents?
We will make sure that access to businesses and residences is maintained wherever possible.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will do our very best to complete the work as quickly as possible, keeping disturbances and noise to a minimum.