The Borough Council of Wellingborough has established a ten point plan that will aim to continue to ensure that the town centre is a destination for residents and visitors, of all ages, to enjoy.
The plan will include the continuous development of the town centre strategy, continued investment to improve the town centre and use of the market. To achieve this, the council work with key partners and businesses to work together to continue to make Wellingborough a place to be proud of.
The plan will:
1. Continue to develop the town centre strategy and in recognition of its importance elevate this from a sub committee back to the Development Committee as one of its key priorities
2. Use capital and S106 to invest in the town centre, such as public realm and the use of the market
3. Use our new enforcement officers to address social issues and make the town centre a more attractive destination for shoppers
4. Work with key partners and businesses, such as the Chamber of Commerce , the civic society and Parkwood Leisure, to enhance relationships and revive the town centre partnership
5. Use events and promotional activities to increase footfall and promote the towns profile as a destination for visitors and shoppers
6. Ensure the dedicated BCW Town Centre coordinator is actively involved to address any key concerns raised and to deliver the town centre strategy
7. Reflect where possible the changing nature of the high street and modern shopping practices, such as free public wifi to extend dwell time
8. Use our dedicated officer to focus on the economic development potential to ensure a thriving town centre as a place to visit, shop and work
9. Retain the heritage of the town whilst promoting its unique facilities , especially the cultural and arts provisions such as the Castle Theatre and museum
10. Work in preparation for the Future North Northants unitary to ensure that all local towns are supported and complement each other rather than compete