Public Space Protection Orders - Consultation
The Borough Council of Wellingborough is consulting on the renewal of its existing Borough Wide Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) for Dog Control and its Town Centre PSPO for anti-social behaviour issues including aggressive begging and anti-social drinking.
The council is also consulting on the introduction of a new PSPO which proposes to gate specific public alleyways in the Isebrook and Victoria Wards. This is part of a Office of Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (OPFCC) project aimed at reducing crime and anti-social behaviour.
We would like to provide residents; businesses; and visitors to the Borough with the opportunity to inform the process (You can find a link to the proposed PSPO consultations in the supporting documents section below.)
PSPOs can be used to regulate activities in particular public places that can have a detrimental effect on the local community. They can help by giving local councils and the Police additional powers to tackle anti-social behaviour in specific locations.
Failure to comply with a PSPO could result in a Fixed Penalty Notice of up to £100 or prosecution. Anyone breaching the Order is committing a criminal offence and is liable to summary conviction to a maximum penalty of a Level 3 fine (currently £1,000).
It is up to each local authority to determine which behaviours they include in a PSPO providing those activities:
- Have had, or are likely to have, a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality.
- Is, or is likely to be, persistent or continuing in nature.
- Is, or is likely to be, unreasonable.
- Justifies the restrictions imposed.
How to take part
Complete our online questionnaires
- Isebrook and Victoria Ward Public Alley Gating
- Renewal of Borough Wide Dog Control Public Space Protection Order (PSPO)
- Renewal of Town Centre Public Space Protection Order
or download a questionnaire and return to the details provided below
- questionnaire - Public Alley Gating
- questionnaire - Renewal of Borough Wide Dog Control Public Space Protection Order (PSPO)
- questionnaire - Renewal of Town Centre Public Space Protection Order
Maps of proposed areas for Public Alley Gating
- Map of proposed area
- Area 1 - Colwell Road and Chace Road
- Area 2 - Mill Road, Cromwell Court, Newcomen Road, Winstanley Road, West of Vivian Road
- Area 3 - Mill Road, Newcomen Road, Winstanley Road, Knox Road, Palk Road West of Ranelagh Road
- Area 4 - Mill Road, Newcomen Road, Winstanley Road, West of Strode Road
- Area 5 - Newcomen Road, Winstanley Road, Know Road, Palk Road, West of Vivian Road
For help or queries
Please write to:
Borough council of Wellingborough
Telephone: 01933 231962
How results will be used
All comments received during the consultation period (23rd September 2020 until 12 noon on 21st October 2020) will be considered and be used in informing the final Public Spaces Protection Orders.