Footpath & bridleway diversion/Stopping up application form
Before a footpath or bridleway can be diverted you must obtain full planning permission. The application form should be completed and returned with the following:
- Application form
- An extract from the Ordnance Survey map showing the existing route and proposed alterations to the footpath/bridleway route. (Scale: 1:1250 or 1:2500)
- A copy of the "full" planning permission decision.
- A cheque for the initial payment of £1000 made payable to the Borough Council of Wellingborough.
- If you are not the owner of the land, you will need to send the written consent of the landowner
How much does it cost?
- An initial fee of £1500 is to be paid with the application to divert the footpath and a subsequent payment of £1000 following consultation.
- A final payment of £2000 will be paid before the order is confirmed and certified that the order is in place.
- £500 is paid before submission to the Secretary of State if objections are received, with £200 for each additional path is paid where it is included in the same order.
- The initial £1,500 fee is retained if the application is withdrawn/rejected following informal consultation and first advertisement.
We will only refund a charge where:
- We fail to confirm an unopposed Order.
- Having received objections which have not been withdrawn, the Authority fails to submit the Order to the Secretary of State for confirmation, without the agreement of the person requesting the Order.
- The Order is not confirmed by the Authority or on submission to the Secretary of State, by him, on the ground that it was invalidly made due to no fault of the applicant.
The applicant must make the request to have the charges refunded.
Further information can be found in the Guidance Notes