Did you know you could save time by registering for our new self-service system to access your council tax, housing benefits, council tax support, business rates and Landlord payment accounts.
- View your account balance, instalment plan and payments
- Details of discounts, exemptions, reliefs or reductions
- Copies of Bills and other notices issued to you
For more information, and to register, please vist the self-service system. If you have any issues regarding this, then please send an e-mail quoting self-service in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are business rates?
Non-Domestic Rates, or Business Rates, collected by local authorities are the way that those who occupy non-domestic property contribute towards the cost of local services. Some properties are eligible for discounts on their business rates.
Except in the City of London where special arrangements apply, the rates are pooled by central government and redistributed to local authorities according to the number of people living in the area. The money, together with revenue from council tax payers, revenue support grant provided by the Government and certain other sums, is used to pay for the services provided by the Borough Council of Wellingborough and Northamptonshire County Council. GOV.UK provides more information about the whole subject of business rates.
The Borough Council of Wellingborough is responsible for collecting Business Rates (also known as Non-Domestic Rates). The administration of Business Rates is dealt with by the Business Rates Section.
There are some key organisations involved in local government finance and each has a separate responsibility, these are:
- Communities and Local Government
- Valuation Office Agency assesses rateable values that are the basis for working out rates bills
- Valuation Tribunal Service is an independent, judicial body that has the power to deal with appeals relating to non-domestic rating (and council tax).
- Local (billing) Authorities are responsible for working out your rates bill, giving any reliefs that may be due and for collecting the money.
- Self-service system (you are here)
- Methods of Payment
- Paying your Business Rates
- Business Rates Relief - Partly Occupied Property Relief
- Business Rates Relief - Charity and Registered Community Amateur Sports Club Relief
- Business Rates Relief - Non-Profit Making Organisation Relief
- Business Rates Relief - Hardship Relief
- Unoccupied Property Rating
- Rateable Value - Valuation Office Agency
- Rateable Value - Rating Advisers
- National Non-Domestic Rating Multiplier
- Transitional Arrangements
- Billing Documents
- Account Enquiries - Moving into a Property
- Account Enquiries - Moving out of a Property
- Contacting Business Rates